This vegan egg mayonnaise is a delicious tofu recipe that is both creamy and convincingly egg tasting!
Growing up, Shadiya and her family would spend many long days on the beach during summer and their picnic of choice always included egg mayonnaise sandwiches and custard creams. We have yet to find the perfect vegan replacement for custard creams, but we’re extremely pleased to have found an amazing vegan egg mayo recipe!
Pre vegan, egg mayonnaise sandwiches would most definitely not be Elliot’s first choice. However, he was absolutely blown away by this recipe and is now a huge ‘egg’ sandwich fan.
This recipe is quick and easy and one which we will make often, especially when making trips to the beach.
We chose to use a blend of two different types of tofu to achieve the right consistency. The silken tofu adds a smooth, creamy texture, while the firm tofu holds its shape a little more and replicates small pieces of crushed boiled egg.
Another key ingredient in this recipe is kala namak. Also known as Indian black salt, this ingredient has a powerful eggy scent and flavour – it truly is essential! We picked ours up from a local health food store but if it is something you are struggling to find, click here to purchase it online. We frequently reach for our kala namak and it is a cupboard staple we would not be without.
Vegan Egg Mayonnaise
- 134 g Tofoo (or any extra firm tofu)
- 150 g silken tofu
- 1 tbsp Follow Your Heart Vegenaise (or any vegan mayonnaise)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp kala namak also known as Indian black salt
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 1 small handful Cress
- Drain the both types of tofu if necessary and add them to a bowl with the Vegenaise. Use a fork to mash and blend the two tofus together, but be sure to leave some small lumps.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, kala namak and turmeric until fully combined.
- Stir in the cress. Your vegan egg mayonnaise is now ready to spoon over your favourite bread.