This lentil bolognese is quick and easy to make whilst also being packed full of healthy vegetables.
Our Serving Recommendations
We believe that bolognese is always best when served with spaghetti, but it is delicious served with any type of pasta.
What About Cheese?
In this picture we have served our spaghetti bolognese with a cashew based parmesan, the recipe can be found here.
Another cheese alternative is Engevita Yeast Flakes, more commonly referred to as nutritional yeast. These little flakes pack a real cheesy flavour and are delicious sprinkled on top of bolognese.
However, for the ultimate spaghetti bolognese experience we would recommend sprinkling over a generous helping of grated vegan cheese. Our favourites for this dish would be the Daiya Medium Cheddar Style (available to buy in Sainsburys) or the Sainsburys Deliciously Free-From Cheddar Style.
For the Food Processor
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 130 g mushrooms
- ½ red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 225 g dried puy lentils we use Merchant Gourmet
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 130 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 orange pepper diced
- ½ red pepper diced
- 1 courgette diced
- 2 tbsp italian herbs
- Add all of the food processor ingredients to a food processor and pulse to form very small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the blitzed vegetables from the food processor and fry on a medium-high heat for 8 minutes.
- Add in the Italian herbs and the other chopped vegetables and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and lentils. Cover with a lid and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the lentils are soft.